It can be tough to ignore your dog sitting near you at the dinner table giving you those sad puppy eyes. Many people tend to give in and throw their pet a few chips here or a half-eating hot dog there, and it makes both you and your pup happy. If it is so easy to feed dogs leftovers and food you are preparing yourself, why do dogs eat dog food?
Dogs eat dog food because it provides an adequate combination of ingredients to keep dogs lean and healthy. Quality dog food lessens the risk of ligament issues, heart disease, and mobility issues.
Next time you feel to give in to that cute furry face, consider the risks associated with poor diet and nutrition regarding human food and your dog’s digestive system. Remember, moderation and sound judgment are essential.
Reasons Dogs Eat Dog Food
A proper diet is why you should be feeding your food explicitly made for them; here are six common reasons people tend to feed their furry friends dog food.
- Cheaper than healthy human food– Although some high-quality dog food brands may seem costly, they will probably save you a lot of money compared to cooking up fresh lean meats, veggies, and fruits every night.
- Easier to prepare and disburse- Simply put, scooping out a few cups of dog food into a dish is less time-consuming than preparing a fresh meal.
- High in protein– Dog foods incorporate enough protein to give your dog the proper diet.
- Does not have unhealthy ingredients- Unlike human food such as fast food, processed foods, or snack, a good quality dog food only contains what your dog needs.
- Many healthy choices- There are many different choices in dog foods on the market, all geared towards a healthy diet. Therefore no matter your budget, your dog’s preferred taste, or even your dog’s health conditions, there is a brand of food for you.
- Perfect size- Dog food comes in small kibbles, making it the perfect size to slow your dogs eating down and help them digest the food more healthily.
Are Dogs Supposed To Eat Dog Food
Dogs are supposed to eat high protein low-fat dog food. They are derivatives from wolves who can only survive from hunting down lean meats and freshly grown produce.
This is what your dog’s digestive system is designed to process and use to convert into energy and fuel. Without these things, your dog’s life span will be cut short, and they will more than likely end up with many health issues.
Giving them dog food ensures that they will get the ingredients designed to properly provide your dog with all vitamins and nutrients they need to live long, healthy lives.
With that said, your dog is not supposed to eat dog food, but it is the best way to make sure they are eating what they are supposed to be eating. Fresh, homemade dog food provides more nutritional benefits than commercially processed foods.
Can Dogs Live Without Dog Food
Yes, dogs can live without dog food. They have done this for hundreds of years in the wild. However, they will not live full, healthy lives unless their owners prepare them the right foods in the correct ways.
What Human Foods Are Good Options For Your Dogs Diet
If you choose to feed your dog strictly human foods, you must know what ingredients are healthy and which ones are not. Here is a list of healthy and non-healthy foods you can feed your pup.
Healthy Food Options For Your Dog
● Proteins: Peanut butter, chicken, turkey, eggs, plain yogurt, salmon, venison, pork.
● Vegetables: Carrots, peas, green beans, cucumbers, kale, spinach, broccoli, beets, celery, yams, and squash
● Fruits: Apples, watermelon, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, kiwi, pears, strawberries, and pumpkin.
● Others: white rice, plain popcorn
Unhealthy options: (harmful and possibly deadly)
● Proteins: Fat trimmings, bacon, hotdogs, fatty beef, raw meat, nuts
● Vegetables: Avocados, mushrooms, onions, garlic
● Fruits: rines, grapes, raisins, unripened tomatoes, cherry seeds, citrus fruits, coconut
● Other: Coffee, chocolate, sugars, nutmeg, seeds, cinnamon
Do Dogs Get Bored Of Eating The Same Food
Dogs can become bored of the same foods day after day, but this is not going to make them dislike eating it, nor will it affect their health only eating these foods. As you may have noticed, dog’s taste buds are nowhere near as sensitive as humans meaning taste isn’t as big of an issue for them.
This doesn’t mean your dog wouldn’t enjoy a little change here and there. Consider adding a little flavoring or some broth once in a while to their food. This is a quick way to give them an extra snack and maintain their healthy diet.
What Is the Healthiest Dog Food On The Market
The healthiest food on the market for your dog is one that contains plenty of healthy leans meats, grains, fruits, and vegetables—no fillers or bi-products.
Five of the top dog foods on the market today are listed below. These are not the only good foods out there but are highly recommended.
Blue Buffalo– Blue Buffalo believes your dog is part of the family and should eat healthily and from only the best ingredients possible. That’s why they will only use healthy, wholesome foods in their dog food products.
Wellness Complete- Wellness complete only uses top premium proteins mixed with healthy meal options to give your dog the best well-balanced diet possible.
Diamond Naturals-Diamonds naturals use complete holistic foods to create a diet fit for every pet. This company ensures their pet food has premium vitamin-enriched food to give your dog everything they need to live a healthy life.
Taste of the Wild- High-quality, premium dog food is made with all of your pet’s natural needs. This affordable formula is based on high proteins and nutrients that will keep your dog healthy.
Purina Pro Plan: Known for being packed with nutrition, this pet food will keep your dog feeling his best. This formula is full of all the vitamins and nutrients you need to give your dog a happy, healthy life.
Is Dog Food Or Human Food Better For Dogs
Once again, this answer will be based on the type of food you are giving your dog. If you hand them a half-eaten cheeseburger or leftover spaghetti and meatballs from the night before, you should think about sticking strictly to a dry dog food diet.
However, if you are preparing chicken or turkey for your pets’ diet while mixing in some fresh carrots and peas, that will give your pup all the nutrients they need and then some.
Sharing your dinner with your dog isn’t a horrible thing, as long as what you are feeding them is a healthy option.
Giving in to those cute little pup eyes staring at your plate while you are enjoying a meal can ultimately make life more difficult on you if they decide what you have is better than what in their bowl.
Make treating your pet something that is only expected during special times and make it healthy for them to share with you. While cuddling on the couch, share a bowl of popcorn with your pretty little puppy, or during outdoor BBQ, make a special boneless skinless chicken breast just for them.
Ultimately dogs eat dog food because it is the best way for you to make sure your best friend is getting all of the proper nutrition and vitamins they need to stay strong and healthy and spend as many happy years with you as they possibly can.
Please find the best quality dog food that works for you both and only switch it up on occasion. Don’t forget, adding too many different foods or switching dog brands too often can cause digestive issues and give your dog an upset stomach.
Leave a comment