Limes are green little juicy pockets of goodness – for humans. They’re renowned anti-oxidants, capable of eliminating free radicals. Then there’s the fact that limes contain nutrients like magnesium, potassium, calcium, and many others. But will lime hurt dogs?
Lime will hurt dogs. The ingestion of certain compounds found in lime can cause toxicity and lead to problems including liver damage, dehydration, gastric upset, vomiting, and low blood pressure in dogs.
If you’re looking to learn more about why dogs and limes don’t mix, scroll down to discover more.
Is Lime Poisonous To Dogs
Lemons and limes are common enough in pretty much all cuisines worldwide. But, the unfortunate truth is, despite all their essential goodness – they can be dangerous for dogs to consume.
Both the citrus fruits contain natural oils, such as limonene and linalool, and the compound known as psoralens. Even the smallest quantity of either oils or the compound can result in gastric upsets and phototoxicity in dogs.
Ingestion of larger quantities of limonene or linalool can cause lemon or lime poisoning in canines. This condition, if not treated in time, can lead to liver damage or liver failure.
Thankfully, since dogs don’t seem to like the taste of limes, the occurrence of poisoning is rare. But, if your furball ingests something that includes a sizeable amount of lime zest or rinds- it can still cause trouble.
That’s why it’s a good idea for dog parents to be aware of lemon or lime poisoning symptoms. Some of which are:
● Photosensitivity (sensitivity to light)
● Low blood pressure
● Liver failure
● Loss of coordination
● Skin irritation
If you suspect your dog is experiencing lime poisoning or displays one or more of these symptoms – get it to the vet as soon as you can.
Early detection can help with successful treatment and may include gastric irrigation to rid your pet’s system of toxins. The vet may also use activated charcoal to stop your dog’s body from absorbing any more of the compounds.
Aside from that, the vet may administer IV fluids in case of dehydration. This is when dogs experience vomiting or diarrhea and need to make up for the loss of fluids. Oxygen or anti-seizure medications may also be prescribed, depending on the situation.
Suffice it to say, you should keep canines away from all things citrus, especially any essential oils, to ensure it doesn’t suffer any ill effects.
Can My Dog Lick A Lime
Yes, dogs can lick a lime, but it is not something that should be encouraged.
While there’s no danger of lime poisoning to dogs if they only lick a lime, trace amounts of limonene in the rinds of the fruit or citric acid from its juice may cause gastrointestinal upsets.
The size of your dog plays a vital role in how severe a reaction may develop from licking a lime. For instance, toy or small dog breeds can develop reactions from eating something much faster than medium or large canines. That’s because they have much faster metabolisms and will digest anything they consume rapidly.
Finally, it’s best to keep all canines away from having anything to do with citrus fruits. But that’s twice as true for pups. Their systems are still developing and can be upset with the slightest of things. Plus, excessive vomiting or diarrhea can be life-threatening in little furbabies, so it’s best not to leave anything to chance.
What Happens If My Dog Eats A Lime
Studies reveal that canines have the same taste classifications as humans. That means they can taste bitter, sweet, salty, and sour. Plus, dogs also have taste buds specifically equipped to pick up on the taste of water.
With such a delicate palate, it’s unlikely that your furball will resort to eating a lime because of the taste. Nonetheless, if your pet does happen to eat a lime (or a piece of it) by mistake, the primary concern isn’t poisoning.
Instead, the more immediate concern in such cases is gastrointestinal upset. That’s why it’s best to make a quick trip to the vet’s office after your pet has eaten a lime – with or without any symptoms.
Once you’re at the vet’s office, they may decide to induce vomiting to get rid of the fruit from your pet’s stomach. This will also help in reducing any developing symptoms and contribute to a faster recovery time.
If the vet feels there’s no need to induce vomiting, they might take a few steps to soothe your dog’s tummy. In both cases, the vet will likely advise you to keep your pet’s diet light for the next two or three days to help its stomach settle.
Easy-to-digest foods, such as boiled chicken with cooked rice or white fish, may be recommended to ensure your canine quickly returns to normal.
Things To Consider
If you were looking into feeding your pet limes because of their nutrient content – worry not. There are plenty of fruits that are safe for your dog to consume and are wholesome to boot.
Here are some fruits that your canine will enjoy eating as a treat –
Apples, like limes, contain vitamins A and C. Vitamin A is essential for your pet’s optimal well-being. It also helps promote coat, muscle, and nerve health. Even though canines can synthesize vitamin C in their livers, a supplemental source can be helpful if your puppy is deficient.
Apples are packed with fiber – which means they’re great for your pup’s digestive system. Eating apples is also a tasty way to help maintain your dog’s oral health by cleaning gums and teeth.
When feeding you canine apples, always remember to remove the seeds first. These contain low quantities of cyanide and may cause your pet health concerns.
Strawberries will make a much more palatable and safer treat for your dog than limes. They’re full of vitamin A and C. And, they contain an enzyme that can help whiten your canine’s teeth. It’s a win-win situation.
Who doesn’t love bananas? Eating them requires almost no effort, and they’re also perfectly safe for your dogs to consume.
Bananas don’t often get the respect they deserve because they contain minerals like potassium and copper. Plus, your pup can also look forward to reaping the benefits of vitamins C and B6.
Bananas are low in cholesterol and sodium. But, they’re a bit high on the sugar content – which means they make an excellent occasional treat.
Leave a comment